If there is one food I could eat myself to death with it would have to be chocolate chip cookie dough. Every time I make cookies, it is truly a test of my will to not over indulge. All I have to say is thank goodness it is possible to make chocolate chip cookies sans animal products. And with a few extra touches, these guys offer a fair amount of fiber, omega-3’s, and protein.
My first experimenting with vegan chocolate chip cookies was with a recipe from The Joy of Baking. They were a huge success—my aunt and uncle would moan at me, “Melissa! Why must you tempt us!”
In Korea, I have had to revise the recipe a bit as it is difficult and expensive to get my hands on vegan butter. This new recipe is adapted from vegweb with a few MJ-esque touches. They are equally as delightful as The Joy of Baking cookies.
- 2 cups flour (any kind, I like to use all whole wheat or half all-purpose and half whole wheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- ¼ raw sugar (turbinado)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- ½ cup oil (canola, hemp, or coconut work great)
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbls vanilla
- 1/2 – ¾ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl
- In a separate bowl, blend wet ingredients
- Mix wet and dry together and stir in chocolate chips
- Spoon onto non-stick baking sheet
- Lick spoon, ah hell, have a whole spoonful.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Let cool (I’d like to see you try)