Tree pose is one of my favorite balancing poses. I like that it is simple and gives me an incredible sense of rootedness. It’s also a fun pose to play in. Sometimes I sway in the “wind”, close my eyes, or go onto my toes for added challenge. Some days just standing on one foot is challenge enough.
Here are some of the benefits:
- improves balance and coordination
- enhances awareness and improves concentration and poise–a great pose for meditation
- strengthens legs and back
- promotes flexibility of the thighs and hips
- spread the toes of your left foot and plant it securely on the ground, imagine roots coming out the bottom of your foot, spreading out under the earth
- choose a still point somewhere in front of you and focus on it
- lift your right foot off the ground and put it on your left ankle, calf, or thigh
- place your hands at heart center (prayer), out to the side, or stretched above your head
- focus on opening up your hip by drawing your right knee back.
- repeat on other side