Last spring I went smoothie crazy. We didn’t have a blender in Seoul so I used my food processor to make protein smoothies nearly every day. I’m telling you, I think it’s what got me through the long humid as heck summer in Seoul. I’d finish up my run and guzzle down a tall cold one.
I truly missed them while we were traveling (although I found plenty of delicious things to replace them) through Asia this fall. Now that we are home and have access to a blender, I’ve been getting my smoothie on like crazy. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my recovery. I can do a long run on Saturday, be a little sore for the rest of the day, and then feel 100% on Sunday. It’s amazing. I think I should give at least a portion of the credit to my recovery smoothie.
Here’s what I put in it:
- banana–frozen is best (or another soft fruit such as avo)
- frozen berries
- hemp protein–nice clean plant protein!
- maca powder– good for your endocrine system and a surprise benefit you must watch the video to discover)
- chia seeds–fiber and omega 3’s
- flaxseed–binds smoothie and gives you an extra shot of fiber and omega 3’s
- lemon/lime juice– alkaline in the body–helps balance pH levels which I’m all about after the stress of a workout
- agave nectar–I like it sweet
- greens–I love my greens
Sometimes I also use:
- almond butter
- nut milk
- pumpkin puree