Yesterday we pulled out the last of our summer veggies. The garden beds look bare but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling a little relieved that the of processing massive zucchinis has finally come to an end. I must have shredded 100 cups of zucchini this summer. Much of which is frozen in 2 cup servings in the basement. The rest was turned into bread/muffins and frozen or eaten or was prepared for dinner. This past week, I decided to change my muffin recipe up a bit for some added spunk (and protein and goodness). I had some leftover chocolate hemp protein in the fridge my friend had given me last spring as she wasn’t a huge fan. However, it was dynamite in a muffin!
Chocolate Zucchini Power Muffins
Oil Free, low sugar, vegan
- 6 TBLS ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1- 1 1/2 cup apple sauce (I used homemade with chunks)
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup chocolate hemp protein
- 1 TBLS baking soda
- 1 TBLS baking powder
- A few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tin (I have been using parchment paper muffin cups and I love them)
- Wisk flaxseed and water and then stir in sugar and applesauce
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredeints
- Combine dry and wet ingredients well and then stir in chocolate chips and zuchini
- Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Store half the batch in the freezer for some yummy breakfast treats this winter!