I have been working on developing some recipes that are oil free and and free of refined grains. When I was thinking about enchiladas, I wanted to make something that didn’t require tortillas. My friend made something with egg plant a couple weeks ago that inspired me to try this. So, here it is–an oil free, refined grain free enchilada that will leave you feeling satisfied (okay–I was overly full as I just couldn’t stop myself from round 2).
Eggplant Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 medium eggplants, spliced longways
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 cups black beans
- 1-2 cups chopped asparagus
- 3 TBLS water
- 2 TBLS flour (I used buckwheat)
- 16 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- chilli powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Saute the garlic in water for a couple minutes
- Add in Sweet potato and sauté until it begins to soften
- Add in Asparagus.. add water if it has evaporated. Cook until tender
- In the meantime, heat 3 tablespoons water in a sauce pan and then add flour.
- Mix until a paste forms and add remaining ingredients and simmer over med-low heat
- Mix black beans with sweet potato and asparagus and mix in spice
- To assemble: Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom of a casserole dish.
- Layer eggplant, sweet potato and asparagus, sauce until you run out! Make sure the top layer of eggplant has some nice juice sauce on it!
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes–until eggplant is tender
- Enjoy with fresh guacamole and cilantro!